- Voter Id
Voter ID Card
A Voter ID card is an identification card issued by the Election Commission of India to eligible citizens who are registered as voters. The card serves as proof of identity and allows the holder to vote in elections.
What is a Voter ID Card?
In India, a Voter ID Card, also known as an Electors Photo Identity Card (EPIC), is an essential document that serves as proof of a citizen's identity and allows them to exercise their right to vote in elections. The Election Commission of India issues it to citizens 18 years and above who have registered as voters. The Voter ID Card contains the individual's photograph, name, age, address, and unique identification number.
In recent years, the Election Commission of India has introduced the concept of the Digital Voter ID Card or e-EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Card). It is a digital version of the Voter ID Card that can be downloaded and stored on a mobile phone or any digital device. The e-EPIC is available in two formats: a regular PDF format that can be downloaded from the website and a secured QR code format that can be downloaded from the Digilocker app. The digital version of the Voter ID Card has several advantages, including easy accessibility, portability, and elimination of the risk of loss or damage.
Process of Obtaining a Voter ID Card in India
The process of obtaining a Voter ID card in India involves the following steps:
- Eligibility: The first step is to ensure that you are eligible to apply for a Voter ID card. In India, a person is eligible to vote if they are a citizen of India and 18 years of age or above.
- Online Registration: The easiest way to register for a Voter ID card is through the online portal of the Election Commission of India. You need to visit the National Voter Service Portal (NVSP) at https://www[dot]nvspinand[dot]in click on the 'Apply Online' button. Then, you need to fill in the required details in the online application form, upload the necessary documents and submit the application.
- Offline Registration: If you prefer to register for a Voter ID card offline, you can visit the nearest Electoral Registration Office or Common Service Center (CSC) and fill in the application form. You need to submit the application form along with the necessary documents like age proof, address proof, and a passport size photograph.
- Verification: After submitting the application, your details will be verified by the Election Commission officials. The verification process includes a physical verification of your address and other documents.
- Issuance of Voter ID card: Once your application is approved, your Voter ID card will be issued to you. You can either collect it from the Electoral Registration Office or it will be sent to your address by post.
- Check Your Application Status: You can track the status of your application online by using your application reference number provided to you at the time of registration.
- Deadline for Registration: The last date for voter registration is usually set a few weeks before the election date, so apply well in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
In case you face any issues during the application process, you can contact the Election Commission's toll-free helpline number 1950.
What is EPIC Number on Voter ID Card?
EPIC stands for Electoral Photo Identity Card, a Voter ID card. The EPIC number on the Voter ID card is a unique identification number assigned to each voter in India. It is a 10-character alphanumeric code on top of the Voter ID card. The EPIC number serves as a unique identification number for the voter, and it helps the election authorities to identify and verify the voter's identity during the electoral process. It is important to note that the EPIC number is not the same as the Voter ID card number, a separate 12-digit number printed below the EPIC number.
How to Find EPIC Number Online?
Any user who needs to find their EPIC voter ID card information can access the official website of the National Voters Services Portal. With a few simple steps, they can access their EPIC Number, which the cardholders can also use to download their digital voter document. Here is how to find the EPIC Number Online.
- Go to the official website of the National Voters Services Portal.
- Click on the Seach in the Electoral Roll option
- There will be an option to search with the user’s details.
- Fill in the information as required. These include name, age, father’s or husband’s name, gender, state, district, and assembly constituency.
- These steps will prompt the page to show the EPIC Number online.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card (EPIC Card Registration Process)
As a citizen turns 18, they must exercise their right to vote. Regarding the registration process, the authorities have made it easier than ever for new applicants by incorporating online means of application submission. Now anyone can simply apply online from the official website of the National Voter’s Service Portal. Here are the steps to apply for a Voter ID Card in detail.
- Visit the National Voters' Service Portal (NVSP) website.
- Click on the "Login/Register" button at the webpage's top right corner.
- If you are a new user, click the "Register" button and fill in your details, such as name, date of birth, email id, and mobile number.
- Once you have registered, log in to the portal using your credentials.
- Click on the "Apply online for registration of new voter/due to shifting from AC" option.
- Fill in the required details, such as your name, date of birth, and address, and upload a passport-sized photograph.
- After completing the form, click on the "Submit" button.
Authorities Involved in Digital Voter ID Card
The Election Commission of India (ECI) issues electronic voter identification cards, sometimes called e-EPICs (Electronic Electoral Photo Identity Cards). Through its website and mobile application, the ECI has made digital voter ID cards accessible to eligible voters.
How to Download Voter ID using EPIC Number?
To download your Voter ID using the EPIC (Electoral Photo Identity Card) number, follow these steps:
- Visit the National Voter Service Portal (NVSP) website.
- Click on the "Download E-EPIC" option on the homepage.
- You will be directed to a new page where you need to select the "Download E-EPIC using EPIC number" option.
- Enter your EPIC number and other required details, such as your name, date of birth, and registered mobile number or email address.
- Click on the "Get OTP" button.
- You will receive an OTP (One-Time Password) on your registered mobile number or email address. Enter the OTP on the website.
- Click on the "Download EPIC" button.
- Your Voter ID card will be downloaded in PDF format. You can take a printout of the Voter ID card and use it as valid identity proof.
Documents Required for Voter ID Card
To apply for a Voter ID card in India, the following documents are required:
Proof of Identity
Any of the following documents can be submitted as proof of identity -
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Aadhaar card
- Service Identity Card of the State/Central Government
- Bank passbook with photograph
- Smart card issued by RGI under NPR
- MNREGA job card
- Pension document with photograph
Proof of Address
Any of the following documents can be submitted as proof of address -
- Driving License
- Aadhaar card
- Ration card
- Bank passbook
- Income Tax Return
- Electricity/Telephone bill
One recent passport-size photograph is required to be submitted with the application form.
If the applicant is between 18 and 21, they must submit a document as proof of age, such as a birth certificate or a mark sheet from a recognised educational institution.
Voter ID Card Eligibility
To be eligible for a Voter ID card in India, an individual must meet the following criteria:
- The minimum age to be eligible for a Voter ID card is 18.
- The individual must be an Indian citizen.
- The individual must be a resident of the constituency where they wish to vote.
- The individual must be enrolled in the electoral roll of the constituency.
Track Voter ID Application Status Online
You can track the status of your Voter ID Card application online through the Election Commission of India's National Voter Service Portal (NVSP). Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the National Voter Service Portal website.
- Click on the "Track Application Status" option on the homepage's left side.
- Select "Track application status" or "Track status of application" from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your application reference ID received while submitting the voter ID card application form. You can also use other details, such as your name, date of birth, state, and constituency, to track your application status.
- Once you have completed the necessary details, click the "Track Status" button.
- The status of your voter ID card application will be displayed on the screen.
The different stages of the application process may be displayed, such as "Application received," "Under processing," "Approved," or "Rejected." If your application is rejected, the reason for rejection will be mentioned.
What to Do if Your Voter ID Card is Not Received?
Chances are that sometimes the Voter ID is not dispatched or not prepared at the Election Commission of India’s end. And this can cause dissatisfaction among the applicants. However, there are a few things one can do in this situation. These can include checking the status of a Voter ID card on the official website of the National Voter Service Portal, contacting the Booth Level Officer, reaching out to the Election Commission of India’s office, or filing a complaint/grievance with the ECI. It should be noted that Voter ID Cards can take some time to reach the consumer, and a regular status check should be done.
How to Verify Voter ID?
In India, the Election Commission of India issues Voter ID Cards, which are also known as the Electors' Photo Identity Cards (EPIC). Voter ID Cards are used as proof of identity and address for voting in Indian elections. To verify a Voter ID Card in India, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the National Voters' Service Portal (NVSP)
- Click on the "Search Your Name in Electoral Roll" option.
- Enter your details like name, age, state, district, etc.
- Once you have entered the details, click the "Search" button.
- Your Voter ID Card is valid, and verify if your name appears on the voter's list.
You can also verify your Voter ID Card by visiting your nearest Electoral Office or Voter Registration Centre. You must provide your Voter ID Card number, name, and other relevant details to verify the card's authenticity.
How to Vote Without a Voter ID Card?
Although a Voter ID Card is an essential document to cast a vote, there are still possibilities where one can exercise their voting rights by providing some alternative documents. These alternative means are listed below.
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- PAN Card
- Service Identity Cards with Photograph
It should be noted that one will have to procure a voting slip from the Electoral Office at the time of the elections. The voting slip can be produced from the Booth Level Office of the applicant’s constituency.
How to Change an Old Voter ID Card to a New One?
If you plan to replace your old Voter ID Card with a new one from the comfort of your home, there are easy ways to do so. With a few prerequisites, such as an EPIC number, one can easily change their old voter ID card to a new one. This can be majorly done via the National Voter Service Portal. Here are the steps to update your Voter ID Card online.
- Go to the official website of the National Voter Service Portal.
- If you do not have your Voter ID present, you can easily do a voter ID search from the “Search in Electoral Roll” option. The search can be based either on personal details or via EPIC Number.
- Once you have your Voter ID information.
- Now head back and log in. If you are not registered, it will be necessary to create an account.
- Go to the Voter Portal option.
- Once you are in your dashboard, enter your personal information as prompted.
- Click on the “Replacement of Voter ID Card”.
- Enter your EPIC Number and fetch your details.
- The portal will show a detailed card wherein you can cross-check for any mismatch. If all is good, then proceed.
- Enter your registered mobile number. An OTP will be generated.
- Enter your reason for your Voter ID replacement.
- You can choose whether to collect the Voter ID from BLO or deliver the document via post.
- Download the Voter ID replacement receipt, which can be shown when collecting the Voter ID card. You will be required to make a nominal payment for the service.
How to Correct Details in the Voter ID Card?
If there is any mismatch of information given on the Voter ID Card or any changes that need to be made, individuals should immediately get them corrected. With the availability of online means for Voter ID correction, cardholders can do so from the comfort of their homes. The process is straightforward. Individuals can correct the details on their Voter ID card from the official website of the National Voters Service Portal by filling out Form 8. Enter the correct information in the form and proceed to submit the document. The officers will later assess this, and the changes will reflect in the updated Voter ID card. Applicants can later download their digital Voter ID card from the NSV Portal.
NRI Voter ID Card
The Election Commission of India (ECI) issues the NRI Voter ID Card, also called the Overseas Voter Card, to Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) who seek to exercise their right to vote in Indian elections. Even though they are not physically present in India during elections, NRIs can still cast their votes in their respective seats thanks to the card. The Election Commission of India has taken a significant step by introducing the NRI Voter ID Card to encourage and guarantee NRI participation in India's democratic process. Eligible NRIs can fill out an online application form and submit it with the necessary documentation to request an NRI Voter ID Card.
Particulars In a Voter ID Card
A Voter ID Card or commonly known as an Electoral Card has the following particulars found in the card.
- A unique identification number is assigned to each voter.
- The full name of the voter.
- The full name of the voter's father.
- The complete address of the voter's residence.
- The date of birth of the voter.
- The gender of the voter.
- A photograph of the voter.
- The signature of the voter.
- The date on which the voter ID card was issued.
- The validity period of the voter ID card.
- The electoral constituency to which the voter belongs.
- The assembly constituency to which the voter belongs.
- The serial number of the voter's name in the electoral roll.
- A unique barcode is assigned to each voter ID card.
- Finally, a hologram sticker for heightened security.
Purpose of an Election Card
A Voter ID card lets an individual cast their vote in the election and allows them to use documents to authenticate their identity and residential address. Consequently, a Voter ID Card is an essential document to carry as a citizen of India. Moreover, one can use their Election Card to avail of the benefits of various government schemes and subsidies. Here are some of the primary purposes of a Voter ID Card.
- Allows Voting
- It can be used as an identity proof
- It can be used as an address proof
- It can be used as a travel document in India
- It can act as an age proof
Importance of Voter ID Card
A Voter ID card is considered one of the most critical documents in India, which is used for an array of purposes, including exercising voting rights, authentication of identification, authentification of address, and switching election constituencies. Most importantly, a voter ID card can prove an individual’s citizenship. Furthermore, the Voter ID card is also required for accessing various government schemes, such as subsidies, pensions, and other benefits.
Need Loan Assistance?
Connect with Loan Advisor Now!
About Voter Id
- Employee Provident Fund
- Systematic Investment Plan
- Fixed Deposit
- Mutual Funds
- Recurring Deposit
- Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)
- Employees Provident Fund (EPF)
- Public Provident Fund (PPF)
- Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF)
- National Pension Scheme (NPS)
- National Savings Certificate (NSC)
- Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
Top 10 AMC
Top 10 Banks
FAQ About Voter ID Card
What is the EPIC national identification number?
An EPIC national identification number is a unique set of sequential numbers that represent an identity of an individual. EPIC numbers can be found on the PDF document of an individual’s digital voter ID card
Is aadhaar accepted as address proof for voter ID?
Yes, Aadhaar Card can be used as a valid proof of identity and a proof of address for applying for a Voter ID Card.
Can I apply for Voter ID online?
There are provisions for applying online for voter ID cards. However, this facility is exclusively available for new voters only.
How long does it take to get a voter ID?
It can take about a week to even a month. However, the timeframe can also change depending on the Booth Level Officers.
Can I change my constituency in voter ID?
You must change your voting constituency if you have changed your home address. This change can be done from the National Voter Service Portal by filling up Form 6 from the portal.
Can I change my voter registration address online?
Yes, you can change your Voter ID Card address online from the official website of the National Voter’s Service Portal.
Can I download a soft copy of my voter ID?
Users can download an e-EPIC card from the official website of the Election Commission of India. This facility is only available for newly registered voters.
Can a non-citizen of India become a voter?
A non-citizen of India cannot become a voter. It is imperative that a voter ID holder must be a citizen of India.
How long does it take to change the address in the voter ID?
Changing demographics in a voter ID can take anywhere from a week to a few months, depending on the location of the office of the Electoral Registration.
How can I cancel my voter ID?
There can be several reasons why one should cancel their Voter ID cards, including duplication, death of the user, a user moving to another country, etc. However, they first need to cancel their voter ID to submit the Voter ID Form 7 to the electoral registration office.