NRI PAN Card Application Process, Documents, Eligibility and Payment
You will be asked for your PAN Card whenever you carry out banking procedures, file your taxes, make a sale, or have to verify your identity in India. But what exactly is a PAN Card, and how do non-resident Indians use them? Do you belong to the NRI category and want to enlighten yourself about a PAN Card for NRI and how it works?
Continue reading to find out more about PAN Card applications for NRIs. This article primarily focuses on the NRI PAN Cards, including a detailed explanation of the online PAN application process, the appropriate PAN application form for NRIs, the fees and payment method, the documents required for NRI PAN applications, the steps for submitting documents, and more.
Why Does an NRI Need a PAN Card?
It is necessary to have a PAN Card as a Non-Resident Indian for the following reasons:
- An NRI PAN Card is a must while having taxable income in India.
- To invest in equities or mutual funds, NRIs require a PAN Card.
- When purchasing a house or a car in India.
- A PAN Card is also required for deposits that exceed a particular threshold specified by the bank.
- PAN is an effective tool for streamlining the KYC process at most banks.
Eligibility Criteria to Avail NRI PAN Card
Individuals who adhere to and wish to perform any of the below-depicted tasks are eligible to apply for an NRI PAN Card.
- Non-Resident Indians who earn taxable income from Indian sources.
- NRI who seek mutual fund investments in India.
- NRIs who are trading in the stock market through a depository/broker.
- Individuals who wish to buy property in India.
After fulfilling the above-discussed eligibility criteria, an individual can apply for an NRI PAN Card.
Procedure for Application of PAN Card by an NRI
The Income Tax Department has streamlined the NRI PAN application process, ensuring eligible NRIs don't have to spend lots of time to get their PAN Cards.
Here's what you need to know before enrolling on the PAN Card application process for NRIs.
- To begin the NRI PAN Card application procedure, a candidate can visit the official UTIITSL website.
- Since a Non-Resident Indian holds Indian citizenship, they will require Form 49A to provide the essential details.
- Prepare photos, address and ID proofs beforehand, as you must submit the form with the required paperwork.
- An applicant will have to pay INR 107 as the associated charges in case the communication address is located within India; if it is beyond India, a fee of INR 989 must be paid.
- A unique acknowledgement number is generated after completing the payment procedure, which can be used to monitor the progress of the NRI PAN Card application.
Online Process to Apply for NRI PAN Card
With the infusion of technology in the government sector, applying for an NRI PAN Card has become more accessible. You can apply for it from home comfortably by following the given step:
- First, visit the official TIN NSDL portal and choose the "Online PAN Application" option present at the top of the home page.
- Under the 'Application Type,' there are two options, i.e. Form 49A and 49AA. Choose Form 49A, as it applies to NRIs with Indian citizenship. Applicants with foreign citizenship must choose Form 49AA.
- You will get redirected to another page, where you must provide specific details. Enter the details and the captcha, and click on 'Submit.'
- After this, you will be redirected to the NRI PAN Card application form. Fill the form accurately with the required information, and upload the scanned copies of said documents.
- After filling in the information, you will get a review of the submitted data; go through it once again and click on 'Submit.'
- Next to this, you will be redirected to the payment page.
- Complete your transaction pay making the required payment.
Once you complete your transaction, you will get the confirmation for the same through an acknowledgement number. The acknowledgement slip consists of a unique 15-digit number that can be used to track the status of your NRI PAN Card application.
The hard copy of the PAN Card will be posted at the address provided while filling out the application form. Usually, the applicant receives the PAN Card within 21 working days.
Offline Process to Apply for NRI PAN Card
If you wish to apply for an NRI PAN Card through traditional mode, i.e., offline, here's what you need to do.
- Make an in-person visit to the nearest service centre of IT PAN or TIN facilitation centres (UTI and NSDL).
- Collect the required application form and fill the same.
- Attach the photocopies of relevant documents, recheck the provided information, sign them, and submit them.
The applicant receives confirmation through an acknowledgement slip after completing their PAN Card application process. The applicant must pay associated NRI PAN Card fees through demand draft.
Now that you know the online and offline process to apply for NRI PAN Card, let's go through the documents required for the NRI PAN application.
What are the Documents Required for an NRI PAN Card Application?
Non-Resident Indians with/without Indian citizenship can apply for a PAN Card. Note that the list of required documents might vary for applicants in both categories.
Here is the list of documents required by an applicant with Indian citizenship. They will have to attach or upload these documents with their NRI PAN application Form 49A:
- Identity proof documents, including Aadhaar Card, Voter ID Card or
- Valid Driving License.
- Residence proof documents including authentic Passport, bank account statement of the resident nation or NRE bank account. It must encapsulate two transactions at a minimum within the previous six months.
- Two passport-size photos
- Copy of Person of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card.
An applicant with foreign citizenship willing to apply for a PAN Card must present some additional documents apart from the ones mentioned above with Form 49AA. Here's the list of other documents that will be required to get an NRI PAN Card:
- Copy of appointment letter provided by the Indian office.
- An authentic copy of the applicant's original residence certificate issued by the employer.
- Employer's PAN Card details for verification.
Note: If the Non-Resident Indian pays the NRI PAN Card fee through offline mode, i.e. demand draft, the applicant will have to attach the same with the application form to complete the application process.
Payment for a PAN Card Application for NRIs
An applicant must pay NRI PAN Card fees to get it issued by the government. However, the fees and the payment procedure differ based on the NRI taxpayer's category.
NRIs with an Indian Address for Communication
- NRI applicants who provide an Indian communication address and have Indian citizenship must pay INR 110 as NRI PAN Card fees, including GST.
- In this scenario, applicants can use any payment mode except cash, including credit or debit cards, DD, and net banking.
NRIs with a Foreign Address for Communication
- NRIs with a foreign address for communication have to pay INR 1020 as NRI PAN Card fees, including application, tax, and postage charges.
- For this scenario, payment mode is limited to credit or debit cards and DD.
When the applicant opts for demand draft as the mode of payment, it should be drafted in favour of NSDL-PAN, which will be payable in Mumbai. Currently, the authority doesn't accept foreign credit cards for such payments.
Additionally, the NRI PAN Card service is available only for applicants from 105 countries whose list is available on the official portal of NSDL.
Now that you are acquainted with the payment procedure, the next crucial thing you must get familiar with is the benefits of the NRI PAN Card.
What Are the Benefits of an NRI PAN Card?
Non-Resident Indians unlock the below-depicted benefits when they apply for an NRI PAN Card:
- Putting forward KYC procedures in banks becomes hassle-free when you have a PAN Card.
- A PAN Card unlocks the door for NRIs to deposit funds in their accounts and enjoy returns.
- With a PAN Card, Non-Resident Indians can now park their money in mutual funds providing long-term financial benefits.
- NRIs can purchase property in India without interruption when they have a PAN Card.
Contact Details of PAN Office
Following are the contact details of the PAN office:Protean eGov Technologies Ltd. TIN Head Office
Times Tower, First Floor
Kamala Mills Compound, Lower Parel, Mumbai
Pin Code: 400013.PAN/TDS Call Centre of TIN (governed by the Protean eGov Technologies Ltd.)
Fourth Floor, Mantri Sterling
Plot Number - 341, Survey Number - 997 /8
Model Colony, Pune
Pin Code: 411 016.
Contact Number: 020 - 27218080
You can also drop an email to the officials at: tininfo@nsdl[dot]co[dot]in
Do's and Don'ts while Filling PAN Card Online Application for NRI
While filling out a PAN Card online application for NRI, there are certain things you must do and avoid. When you are familiar with the dos and don'ts of the application process, you get your PAN Card in one go with utmost convenience. Here are some of the Dos and Don'ts for the NRI PAN Card Application:
- Applicants must fill out the application form using black ink in case of offline mode. Additionally, it is recommended to provide asked information in Block letters.
- Do the signature within the given space, not outside it or over the pasted photo.
- Double-check the AO code, as it plays a crucial role in the application's authentication.
- Ensure that the address and ID proof attached to your application form is as per the 114 (4) of Income Tax Rules, 1962. Additionally, the Proof of Address document must have the same address as entered within the application form.
- The name present on the Proof of Identity and Proof of Address must be the same as mentioned on the application form.
- Avoid overwriting and making mistakes on the NRI PAN Card application form.
- Steer clear of using pin and staple to affix your photographs on the application form.
- Don't mention the date and place under the signature area.
- Applicants should not mention the husband's name in the column dedicated to the father's name.
- Never use initials and abbreviations for your name. Write your full name as present on the attested documents.
- Last but not least, you should never apply for another PAN Card when you already have one.
Every Indian taxpayer must apply and have a valid PAN Card, which is not mandatory for Non-Resident Indians. That said, NRIs having an income source as well as investment in India must get their PAN Card to perform tasks with utmost ease. Individuals open the door to various benefits with an NRI PAN Card, from investing in mutual funds to buying property in India. Additionally, temporarily these tasks can be accomplished through Form 60, but with a PAN Card, you get access to numerous benefits for a prolonged period.
Need Loan Assistance?
Connect with Loan Advisor Now!
About Pan Card
- Pan Card status UTIITSL
- Link Aadhaar Pan Card
- Duplicate PAN Card
- Minor PAN Card
- Know Your PAN Card
- PAN Card Name Change
- CSC PAN Card
- Pan Card Update
- Pan Card Status
- NSDL PAN Card Status
- Apply Pan Card Online
- PAN Card Verification
- Download PAN Card
- Instant PAN Card Through Aadhaar
- Change Address in Pan Card
- Link PAN Card with Bank Account
- Surrender PAN Card
- AO Code for PAN
- Pan Card LIC link
- PAN Card Eligibility
- PAN Card Correction Form
- Documents Required for PAN Card
- Bank PAN Number
- PAN Card Cancellation
- TAN Verification
- Form 61
- Difference Between PAN and TAN, and TIN
- PAN Cards For Partnership
- PAN Card Rejection
- PAN Card Customer Care
- Pan Card Details
- TAN Number
- PAN Card in 48 Hours
- PAN Card Fees
- Annexure A PAN Card
- PAN Full Form
- Link PAN Card with EPF
- PAN AIN Registration
- Employee Provident Fund
- Systematic Investment Plan
- Fixed Deposit
- Mutual Funds
- Recurring Deposit
- Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)
- Employees Provident Fund (EPF)
- Public Provident Fund (PPF)
- Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF)
- National Pension Scheme (NPS)
- National Savings Certificate (NSC)
- Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
Top 10 AMC
Top 10 Banks
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What distinguishes an NRI PAN Card from a standard PAN Card?
A PAN Card issued to residents of India and an NRI is identical. However, a candidate must complete Form 49AA to apply for a PAN Card for OCI or people of Indian origin who have foreign citizenship.
Does an NRI need to have a PAN Card?
Not all NRIs must have a PAN. Only an NRI having a source of income in India and willing to file taxes or participate in Indian mutual funds or equities need to have a PAN Card.
When can I expect to receive my NRI PAN Card?
Within 15 days, applicants can receive their NRI PAN Card at the address mentioned in the application form.