Changing Address on Voter ID Card in India
Voting is one of a citizen's most crucial rights and responsibilities in a democratic nation. The right to vote ensures that every citizen has a say in choosing their representatives and shaping the direction of their own country. In order to exercise this right, one must possess a Voter ID Card. This card not only acts as proof of one's citizenship but is also a crucial document for exercising one's right to vote.
However, having a Voter ID card is not enough. It is equally important to ensure that the information on the card is up-to-date, especially regarding the voter's address. This is because the address on the card determines the constituency in which the voter is registered and hence, where they can cast their vote. Therefore, if the address on the Voter ID card needs to be corrected or updated, it could lead to the voter being unable to exercise their right to vote in the correct constituency.
In this blog, we will discuss changing the address on your Voter ID card, also known as a change of address request. We will cover the steps involved in the process, the required documents, and other important information you need to know to ensure that your Voter ID card has the correct address. So, let's get started!
Table of contents
- How to Change my Address to a Voter ID Card?
- Step-by-Step Process to Changing Address in Voter ID Card
- Online Process to Transfer Address in Voter ID card
- Offline Process to Update Address in Voter ID Card
- How to Change the Address on Your Voter ID Card From One State to Another?
- Voter ID Address Update Documents
- Form to Transfer of Address in Voter ID card
- How Many Days Does It Take to Change a Voter ID Address?
How to Change my Address to a Voter ID Card?
If you have changed your address and need to update your voter ID card, you can submit an application form and proof of your current address to the Election Officer in your new constituency. This is called transposing of name from the electoral roll, and it allows you to retain all your details while updating your address in the electoral roll. You will be issued a new voter ID card with your updated address.
Transferring your address to your voter ID card can be done online and offline, making it convenient for all voters who have changed their address. This way, you can easily ensure that your voter ID card reflects your correct address and exercise your right to vote in your new constituency.
Step-by-Step Process to Changing Address in Voter ID Card
An individual must follow the given step-by-step process to transfer address to a Voter ID card:
- Visit the National Voter Services Portal (NVSP) website: The first step is to visit the NVSP website. Click on "Correction of Entries": On the homepage, click on the "Correction of Entries" tab.
- Enter Your Details: You will be redirected to a new page where you must enter your basic details like your name, date of birth, and state.
- Select the Type of Form: You must select the type of form you wish to fill. In this case, choose Form 8A, which is used for changing the address of an existing Voter ID card.
- Enter Your New Address: You must enter your new address in the provided fields. Ensure you provide all the necessary details, including the pin code, district, state, and locality.
- Upload Supporting Documents: You must upload supporting documents that prove your new address, such as a utility bill, bank statement, or rental agreement.
- Submit the Form: After completing all the details and uploading the necessary documents, click the "Submit" button.
Online Process to Transfer Address in Voter ID card
The online process of transferring the address on your Voter ID card is simple and can be completed in a few easy steps. The process is as follows:
- Visit the NVSP website and click the "Correction of Entries" tab.
- Select Form 8A and enter your new address.
- Upload supporting documents that prove your new address.
- Submit the form.
Once the form is submitted, you will receive a reference number that you can use to track the status of your application.
Offline Process to Update Address in Voter ID Card
The second procedure for correcting an address on the Voter ID Card requires the candidate to visit the Electoral Office. The steps for this procedure are similar to the online process. First, obtain Form-8 from the NVSP website or the Electoral Offices. Then, accurately fill in all the necessary details, including your name and contact information, as per your documents. Make sure to attach the relevant proof or supporting documents to the form and review all the details before submitting it to the Chief Electoral Officer at the nearest Election office.
How to Change the Address on Your Voter ID Card From One State to Another?
If you have moved from one state to another and wish to change the address on your Voter ID card, the process is slightly different. You will have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the NVSP website and click the "Correction of Entries" tab.
- Select Form 8A and enter your new address in the new state.
- Upload supporting documents that prove your new address, such as a rental agreement, utility bill, or bank statement.
- Submit the form and wait for the verification process to be completed.
- After verification, your name will be added to the electoral roll of the new constituency, and you will receive a new Voter ID card with the updated address.
Voter ID Address Update Documents
When applying for a Voter ID address update, providing supporting documents that prove your new address is necessary. The following are some of the commonly accepted papers:
- Utility bill (electricity, water, gas, or telephone bill)
- Bank statement
- Driving license
- Rent agreement
- Property documents
- Post office account passbook
- Aadhaar card
Form to Transfer of Address in Voter ID card
To transfer the address on your Voter ID card, you must fill out Form 8A. This form is used specifically for transferring the address of an existing Voter ID card. The form can be downloaded from the NVSP website or obtained from the Electoral Registration Office (ERO). The form must be filled out correctly, and all the necessary documents must be attached before submitting the form.
How Many Days Does It Take to Change a Voter ID Address?
After submitting the application form for a voter ID address change, the updated Voter ID card usually takes around two to three weeks to be delivered to your new address. However, this timeline may vary depending on the workload of the concerned election office.
Updating your address on the Voter ID card is a crucial step as it can be used as a valid identity and address proof in availing loan and various government processes. With the online process and step-by-step guidance above, you can easily transfer your address to the Voter ID card without any hassle.
Need Loan Assistance?
Connect with Loan Advisor Now!
About Voter Id
- Employee Provident Fund
- Systematic Investment Plan
- Fixed Deposit
- Mutual Funds
- Recurring Deposit
- Systematic Investment Plan (SIP)
- Employees Provident Fund (EPF)
- Public Provident Fund (PPF)
- Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF)
- National Pension Scheme (NPS)
- National Savings Certificate (NSC)
- Senior Citizen Saving Scheme
Top 10 AMC
Top 10 Banks
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Aadhaar accepted as address proof for voter ID?
Yes, Aadhaar can be used as valid address proof for obtaining a Voter ID card.
What is the importance of the Election Commission?
The Election Commission is an important constitutional body responsible for administering and overseeing the electoral process in India. Its primary role is to conduct free and fair elections, ensuring citizens can exercise their right to vote without fear or intimidation.
Who can submit Form 8A?
Form 8A can be submitted by a voter who wishes to transfer their voting location from one constituency to another.
Where to file Form 8A?
Form 8A can be filed at the Electoral Office of the constituency where the voter wishes to transfer their vote.
How to fill out Form 8A?
To fill out Form 8A, the voter must provide their personal details such as name, address, age, and sex, as well as their existing voting details and the new constituency where they wish to vote. The form also requires the applicant’s signature, accompanied by proof of residence and a Voter ID card copy.