Minor PAN Card: Eligibility, Documents and Process to Apply
Every taxpaying citizen is allotted a unique identification in the form of a Permanent Account Number or PAN Card. The card links all the financial transactions of the holders and is used by the government to maintain records of all the important tax-related information
PAN card is generally applied by the citizen when they turn 18. However, Section 160 of the Income Tax Act grants the eligibility to minors to apply for a Minor PAN Card. The government body, Protean eGOV Technologies Limited, exclusively oversees the issuance of minor PAN cards to the eligible individual.
It is to be noted that the applicant cannot apply for a Minor Pan Card. They require the assistance and approval of their parents, guardian, or representative.
What is The Age Limit For a Minor PAN Card?
As per section 160, the minor pan card can be availed of by anyone below 18. The Minor Pan Card can also be an identification proof on many platforms, irrespective of any change in name or address.
Benefits of a Minor PAN card
The Minor Pan Card issued can provide the following benefits to the holder and their guardians such as
- the minor must possess a Minor Pan card in case they named the nominee of property, investment instrument, or any other financial product.
- The applicant will be required to furnish the details of the Minor Pan card at the time of investing if the investment is in the name of the minor.
- The PAN card number of the child will remain constant throughout their life cycle. Irrespective of any change in the address or name of the holder, just like a PAN card.
- The income earned on the investments linked to a minor’s PAN card is not taxable. However, they might become eligible for taxes on the minors' income. If the investments made are funded, the income is earned through the skills or talents of the minor.
Documents Required to Apply for PAN Card for a Minor
The individual inclined to receive a PAN card for a minor is required to maintain and submit the following documents along with the application form
Documents Submitted as the Proof Of Age.
Any of the below-mentioned documents are eligible to be accepted as Proof of Age.
- Municipal Birth Certificate
- Aadhaar Card
- Marksheet authenticated by an Educational Institution
- Driver’s License
- Voter ID card
- Photo ID issued by the Central Government of India
Documents Submitted as Proof of Address
Any of the following documents are eligible to be accepted as proof of address
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Voter ID card
- Domicile Certificate
- Post Office Passbook
- Property Registration Documents
- Original address certificate authenticated by a gazetted officer, Member of Legislative Assembly, Member of Parliament
- Water and electricity bill
- Credit Card and Bank Account Statement
Documents Submitted as Proof of Birth
Any of the below-mentioned documents are eligible to be accepted as proof of birth
- Aadhaar Card
- Birth Certificate
- Government Issued Photo ID
- Marksheet authenticated by an educational institution
- Domicile certificate
- An affidavit attested by a district magistrate featuring the date of birth
PAN Card Application for a Minor
The juvenile who possesses a minor PAN card can avail of many benefits. The procedure to attain a PAN card for a minor and been streamlined with both online and offline avenues present to cater to the limitations of the mass population who might want to obtain a Minor PAN Card.
PAN Card for Minor Application Process
The application process to apply for a minor card is simple as the authorities have provided both online and offline platforms to individuals inclined to apply for a Minor Pan Card.
Procedure to Apply for Minor Pan Card Online
Step 1: Log into the official portal of the Tax Information Network Website and select the “Online Tab Application Tab” STEP 2: From the drop-down menu, navigate towards the appropriate option. You’ll have to choose between Form 49A or Form 49AA based on the applicant’s residential address.
STEP 3: Select the appropriate category from the drop-down list and overview the instructions for filing Form 49A.
STEP 4: Fill in the required fields as mentioned in the instructions.
STEP 5: Upload all the relevant documents per the form's guidelines and pay the processing fee online.
STEP 6: After completing the form with all the necessary information and documents, click on the ‘Submit’ tab. Post which, you’ll receive a reference number. This reference number will help the user to track the application status.
STEP 7: The applicant will receive the physical copy of the PAN card via post. It is to be noted that the PAN card will be sent to the address mentioned in the form.
Procedure to Apply for Minor PAN Card Offline
- Visit the NDSL website and download Form 49A or Form 49AA, whichever is applicable.
- The form can also be collected from the UTIITSL offices and agents.
- Mention the required details in the form and copies of the required documents.
- There is no need to submit a photograph for a minor PAN card application.
- After successfully filing the application form and attaching all the required documents. The applicant is required to submit the form and documents to the nearest UTIITSL office. And also pay the processing fee.
- After verification of the application and documents by the authorities. The Minor PAN card will be sent to the address mentioned in the application via post.
Procedure to Update PAN of Minor on Becoming a Major
In case the minor PAN Card holder turns into an adult, they’re required to make necessary updates to their PAN card. This new development should be reflected in the PAN card as well. The authorities have crafted a straightforward process for updating a PAN card. The steps are mentioned below:
Step 1: The minor PAN card account holder must apply for a new account upon reaching the maturity age, i.e. 18 years. They can either fill out Form 49A or Form 49AA. (In case they’re a foreign citizen).
Step 2: The form should be filled meticulously with accurate information in the required fields. The applicant filing the form must also mention any updates that need to be made to the existing PAN card.
STEP 3: The applicant must also submit all required documents and a passport-sized photograph. This photograph of the cardholder is featured in a very generic PAN Card.
Step 4: After filling out all the necessary information and attaching the photographs. The applicant must submit the application and documents after verifying their accuracy.
Step 5: The applicant is also required to bear the processing fee with the application concerning the communication address. Generally, Indian citizens are required to pay Rs 107 as the processing fee. And those living outside India are required to pay Rs 989.
Step 6: The applicant will receive an acknowledgement after paying the processing fee. The allotted number will be used to refer to the status of the application.
What is the difference between a Minor PAN Card and a PAN Card?
The minor and Major PAN Cards can be utilised as a legitimate form of identification proof. The government can use the number featured on the card to track the financial transactions of the cardholder. However, there are some differences between a Minor PAN card and a major PAN card, which are as follows:
|Minor PAN Card||Major PAN Card|
|The photograph of the cardholder is absent in a Minor PAN card.||The photograph of the cardholder is present on a Major PAN card.|
|The minor pan card is issued to an individual under 18. An adult is not eligible to apply for the same.||A major PAN card is given to individuals above the age of 18. A minor cannot apply for the same.|
|The minor PAN cardholder is required to re-apply after attaining the age of maturity.||The primary PAN card holder is not required to make any changes.|
|The returns on investment linked to a minor pan card are not taxable to the cardholder barring certain cases.||The government uses the PAN card as an instrument to oversee the financial transaction of the individual concerning taxes|
|How to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card Online and Offline?|
|Duplicate PAN Card Overview: Who Can Apply?|
|Guide to Check UTIITSL PAN Card Status Online?|
Need Loan Assistance?
Connect with Loan Advisor Now!
About Pan Card
- Pan Card status UTIITSL
- Link Aadhaar Pan Card
- Duplicate PAN Card
- Know Your PAN Card
- PAN Card Name Change
- CSC PAN Card
- Pan Card Update
- Pan Card Status
- NSDL PAN Card Status
- Apply Pan Card Online
- PAN Card Verification
- Download ePAN Card
- Instant PAN Card Through Aadhaar
- Change Address in Pan Card
- Link PAN Card with Bank Account
- Surrender PAN Card
- AO Code for PAN
Top 10 Banks
FAQ's About Minor PAN Card
Can a minor apply for a Pan card?
No, A minor has to attain the age of 18 to apply for a PAN card. However, they can apply for a Minor PAN card.
How to update the photo in a minor pan card?
The applicant can commence the update process once they turn 18 by filling out the form available in the NSDL Tax Information Network.
- Select the tab for Online PAN application
- Enter the PAN number
- And select the ‘Photo Mistmatch’ option on the form to adjust.
When can the cardholder change a minor to major in pan card?
The Minor Pan Cardholder can re-apply for a major PAN card after they attain the age of maturity, which is 18 years.
How to update minor pan card to major online?
The concerned individual can commence the process by filling out the “Request for New Pan Card or Correction in PAN Data” form on the Tax Information Website on the NSDL.
Is a Pan card mandatory for opening a bank account for minors?
No, the minor doesn’t need to possess a PAN whilst opening a Banking account. The parent or guardian must fill out a normal account opening form on their behalf.
Can a minor obtain a pan card?
No, a minor cannot apply for a Pan Card. However, a Minor PAN card can be issued in their name.
Can a minor pan card holder file tax?
The minor must file taxes if they’re earning their own income. Although the parents of the minor are also eligible to file taxes on behalf of the minor.
Can I use a Minor Pan Card for Trading?
Yes, in case a Demat Account is established in the name of the minor. They must possess a Minor Pan Card.
Can Minor Pan Card be Used for Investments?
Yes, possession of a Minor PAN card is a mandatory requirement to be met if the investments are made in the name of the minor.